Have you ever read the ingredients on the syrups from the store? For a long time my family didn't drink hot chocolate or even chocolate milk because we reacted so badly to the chocolate syrups and powders on the market. Now that we make our own, my kids are thrilled to have such a treat and not suffer from headaches or other adverse reactions to the store bought stuff. If you or your kids react to excitotoxins then making your own chocolate syrup could change your life. This recipe tastes great in milk or on Ice Cream!
3 cups water
3 cups sugar (unbleached)
2 cups baking cocoa
Pinch sea salt
1 tsp vanilla
Will make about 6 cups chocolate syrup
Place the first 4 ingredients in a medium size saucepan, then bring to a rolling boil (it will look really foamy all over on top). Keep it there for about 1 minute, stirring occasionally, then turn it off and add vanilla. I like to heat up milk then add this chocolate syrup to taste. It tastes okay if you use water, however, it tastes much better with milk. If you prefer chocolate milk just add it to cold milk.
If you liked this article subscribe to our monthly E-magazine:
Share this post